Saturday, April 16, 2016

Week 47

November 30, 2015

Dear Family and Friends,

A few weeks ago we were able to have a lesson with a less active, Vanda, with an active member, Valdas. We talked to her about why the Atonement and repentance are such a big deal, we read a few scriptures from D&C 19:15-20, where it talks about since Christ already suffered for our sins that if we don't repent we will have to suffer even as he. When she was reading she was realizing the magnitude that meant for her. She realized what she needed to do and she even cried a little. Her son, who is not a member, was even there. After, she said she would come to church, although she didn't end up making it because she was really sick. I think she felt something and I just hope she remembers what she felt and learned from the lesson.

One a few Monday's ago we were able to listen to a wonderful talk that my brother Jarom put on an MP3 player for me, I have no idea where he got it, but it was a really good talk given by someone named Skousen. I think missionaries serving in Texas. I listened to it and learned the most amazing things about Christ and the Atonement and why it was necessary. My favorite part of the talk was about when Christ was suffering in the garden and he probably didn't want to do it, but Heavenly Father probably said you have your agency, you don't have to do it, but if you don't everything you have created, all of the people you have healed, will just go back to unorganized chaos. Then Christ did go through with it because he loves us so much, and when he was going through it the angel came and comforted him. This part of the talk made me realized how reliant I am on just one person's choice and how if he would have chosen the alternative I never would have made it here with a body. I am so blessed to have this knowledge so that I can show appreciation every day for what he has done for me. It was a really amazing talk and I wish I could send it to you, but unfortunately the file is too big to send through email.

In District Meeting we watched two more talks from General Conference. The first one was by Jeffery R. Holland, about a mother's love. I really enjoyed it, he talked about Mary and her love for her son and how much that hurt her when her son died on the cross. He said, "how can mortal love be so strong" as a mother's for her child. Then we listened to a talk by Bradley D. Foster and this one was kind of about fathers. I love how their is so much teaching about roles in the family and how we are supposed to raise them. He talked about how when he was a Stake President he interviewed this young man for a mission and he answered everything almost too perfectly, so he made sure and went through everything a second time and again answered perfectly and was completely worthy. He asked him how did he turn out so good and the young man talked about how his father at different ages would take him aside and talk to him and tell him I was your age once and tell what is coming at him and what kind of challenges or temptations. Elder Foster was impressed and thought how sad he was that his children were already grown and he didn't get to implement this wonderful idea. Then he felt that it was never too late, so he gathered his grown kids one at a time and talked with them. I liked that message, that it is never too early or too late to start intentional parenting. I love you all and I hope you have an amazing week.

Love,
Sister Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment